30 wholesome, nutritious recipes to incorporate into your diet for 30 days
By Hanifa Hameed Diwan, Registered Dietitian
The month of Ramadan is a great time to nourish our bodies as well as our minds. For the duration of the month, Registered Dietitian Hanifa Hameed Diwan will be bringing you 3o recipes, filled with fuel for the body and mind so that you can focus on fueling your soul. Each recipe will contain its nutritional benefits, so that you know why you are eating and not just what. We hope you enjoy this series!
Recipe 1: Talbeenah
Prophetic Suhoor Meal
• Barley is very high in fiber, can help improve digestion, helps with weight loss, helps control blood sugar levels, cholesterol levels, prevents heart disease, provides antioxidants, is high in vitamins(B6) and minerals (iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium) and very high in protein.
• Honey contains many phytochemicals and flavonoids-antioxidants with anti-inflammatory and immune system benefits. It also increases energy and has anti-bacterial effects.
• Milk is a source of calcium and vitamin D for bone health, protein for growth and repair of muscle and tissue and increases satiety.
• 1 cup whole barley
• 1 cup low fat milk, organic if possible
• 1 teaspoon raw unfiltered honey (do not use if immune-compromised)
Soak the barley for 2-3 hrs. Combine with the milk and honey. Boil on low heat for 15 mins. You can make it ahead of time and and reheat it as needed.